Each year, the Center for Global Initiatives at UNC has a contest for student photos taken abroad. Each year, I lament the fact that I haven't gone anywhere and don't have a photo to enter!
Well, that wasn't the case this time around, so I entered a photo that I took in Brazil. It was chosen as a winner and will be featured in their 2009 calendar. I am very honored and excited, especially since I have been trying to become a better photographer in the past year. When I was informed that the photo would be in the calendar, I also learned that it would be in some type of mural. I went to the awards reception yesterday, and much to my surprise, found a huge enlargement hanging in the international building. I was a little awestruck when I first saw it! Here's a pic of me under the enlargement, as well as the photo itself and description.

"The Street Where I Live"
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
In the hillside favelas (slums) of Rio de Janeiro, residents must navigate narrow, sometimes steep, alleyways to reach their homes. The vibrant colors captured in this photo are reflective of the mix of materials used to build the homes, often leftovers from construction sites where residents work. I took this photo while I spent two months in Rio, studying Portuguese and preparing to conduct a qualitative research project examining gender equity and reproductive health among young adults in the favela of Maré.
1 comment:
anu,
what a fantatstic picture!! congratulations on winning. after seeing the photo you've made me want to be more than an anal picture taker where I delete photos on the digicam if they aren't good enough. let#s just say i delete a lot of photos.
great blog as well. love the updates. can't wait to see ya in ptown soon.
Post a Comment